Periodic musings of a former corporate executive who is between gigs.

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Blackberry-less

Do you know how to identify a recently-unemployed professional?

They're the one in line at Starbucks with their thumbs fidgeting like shadow puppets. See someone in the IT department took away their Blackberry and they don't know how to live without it.

It's a disease really. Oh my.... what will I do without that little black plastic thing that's been in my hands 18 hours a day for the past 5 years? What will I do while I'm sitting at a traffic light? What will I do while I'm waiting for the ATM? What will I do when I'm waiting for a meeting to start?

Well, the good news is that the last item won't be an issue for you in the near future since you're probably not going to be attending too many meetings for awhile. But you definitely have to get some connectivity and get it QUICKLY!

Why? Because it is impossible these days to leave your house, go to the dentist and come home without having checked your email and TMZ.com ten times. What if your husband were to email you to pick up the drycleaning? What if Lindsay Lohan were to have another meltdown? It's absolutely critical to get some type of Smartphone asap.

I was fortunate enough that my former employer gave me my Blackberry as a parting gift (well, it WAS an entertainment company that produced a lot of game shows so maybe they thought everyone should get a parting gift even if they weren't a show contestant). That's the good news. The bad news is that the IT department wiped all of my existing data from it. So I can text people but not really because I don't remember anyone's phone number or email address.

So tomorrow's project is to get someone to help me reload all of my contact information. Since I don't have an IT department anymore, I am going to have to be creative and figure out how to invent one (or at least find someone who appears to know about these things).

No comments:

Post a Comment