Periodic musings of a former corporate executive who is between gigs.

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Dog Chores

So today is when I realized that the unemployed person in the household has to do all the crummy stuff. Not that I am complaining (well, I kinda am, but not REALLY complaining. That would be unseemly.)

My wonderful husband, who works from home when he is not on the road, has been the one to deal with all of these things for years. The guy who comes to fix the garage door. The person who is coming to inspect the smoke alarm. The cleaning lady. The dog walker. Doing the laundry. I have been blissfully unaware of all the myriad of minutiae that goes on during a typical day.

I'm sad to say that is no longer the case. Today my hopes of unemployment being FUNemployment were dashed. Today I was informed that since I am "no longer working", I could take the dog to the doggie dentist. Yes, I can't believe it either, but our dog had to go to the dentist because she broke one of her canine teeth in half (very ugly thing, I might add).

I absolutely HATE to take the dog to the vet. It's like she knows where we're headed. I am convinced that she is giving me that pitiful look so I will turn the car around and head for McDonalds (she loves McDonalds cheeseburgers, but that is another story). But since I didn't have a ready excuse, the job was mine. Off we went at 7:00 AM. That's another thing. I'd had this notion in my mind that I would be sleeping late every day now that I don't have to get up and go to the office. Not so. Or at least not yet. Maybe it will happen one of these days.

It all turned out fine and the dog didn't even need a crown on the tooth. Which is a good thing because unemployed people should not be spending their diminishing assets on gold crowns for their dog's teeth. Even if it would be kind of cool to have a dog that looked like a rapper.

No comments:

Post a Comment