Periodic musings of a former corporate executive who is between gigs.

Monday, January 3, 2011

Monday, January 3rd

It's Monday. The first Monday of the year, to be precise. The day everyone dreads going back to work after all the holiday cheer.

Guess what? I don't have to go back to work today. But there's a catch (there always is, right?). I'm SICK! Yes, as sick as can be. Sore throat, fever, headache. The whole kit and kaboodle (I always wanted to write those words).

The good thing about being sick today is that I don't have to drag myself out of bed, go to work and pretend that I want to be there. The bad thing is that there are no sick days when you're not working! There's no one to call who will sympathetically say, "Oh, I'm so sorry to hear you're ill. Do you want me to bring you anything?" Or, "Gee, we really needed you for XXX meeting. How will we do it without you?"

My dear husband told me this morning that I shouldn't be complaining about not being able to call in sick. He says that when you've got a corporate severance package, EVERY day is a sick day. So, all in all, I guess it's fine. But it just seems WRONG to be sick on the first day when everyone else is going back to work. I thought I'd be able to brag that I was at the beach, at the movies, having a long liquid lunch or some other decadent adventure. Instead, I'm propped up in bed with 20 pillows (so I can breathe) with two dogs and two cats to keep me company.

Something tells me none of you will be the least bit envious of my life today!

No comments:

Post a Comment