Periodic musings of a former corporate executive who is between gigs.

Friday, January 7, 2011

Job Networking

OK, so here's where it really gets tough. As any good executive knows, the best way to find a job (or a spouse, or a good deal on a car, etc.) is through Networking. Yes, that is Networking with a capital "N". Because it's reviled by most and not really enjoyed by those who don't absolutely hate it.

But, knowing that I needed to do it, I got myself out of bed today at the ungodly hour of 5:30 AM to go to a networking meeting. I live in Los Angeles and the meeting was in Irvine, CA. For those that don't reside in the Golden State, Irvine is about 40 miles from LA but it can take half the day to get there if the Traffic Gods don't smile upon you.

Left the house at 6:30 AM and barely made it there by 8:00 AM. No time to get a beverage from Starbucks so I was bleary-eyed as I introduced myself to 15 people I'd never met before, all of whom are looking for the exact same type of job that I want. So, technically they are "The Competition". But, as funny as this sounds, it was really enjoyable. So much so that I am actually going to keep attending this thing even though I haven't been awake at 5:30 AM since the last time I was in Vegas and stayed up all night.

And now I'm off to take a nap. Which is one of the AMAZING things about not being at an office in the middle of the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment